A quick note …
I have an ipad .. 4.x iOS and trying to move to a new machine. Well, given the itunes setup it wants to erase everytime it syncs. I am fearful of losing my data without a backup but was unable to get a work around till now. Here you go, it worked for me, so perhaps for you too:
- Ipad connects to new itunes system
- Do not sync to erase just cancel that.
- Set the sync bookmarks (or something non-impactful) on
- Then sync
- boom, it will backup and now you have a full archive of the old ipad and you can happily blow away the current install image
- If all else fails, restore!
(yes, the backup happens once you commit to the backup, but JUST in case…) *Also, don’t forget to clean up your backup directory of old images, as they can get quite big!
That is all it took and now I am up to the latest OS on the new system. A bit of a hack to have the assurance of old files and such, but … a win.