I continue to experiment with different foods (I have never till today bought let alone cooked an Acorn squash) since Paleo 19 months ago. The fun part is the adventure and seeing how it all goes. This recipe is from Urban Poser with a few adaptations and commentary by me.
It came out excellent, though not too sweet. I also made the error of telling my toddler it was a squash we were eating. Automatically squash was out of question … but she ate everything else too .. so almost 😉
[Updated 12/29/2012 – So BUTTERNUT squash is awesome and I recommend using that over Acorn. Also I cranked up the oven to 375 and let the squash cook for 40 minutes with a 2 pound squash, and then flipped to be sure. Fork should go deep into squash without much effort. If not – KEEP COOKING. Crunchy squash is not awesome]
- 1 medium sized butternut squash (I did Acorn .. maybe I should have tried Butternut .. sweeter perhaps?) [Butternut Squash is the one to use!!!]
- 1 can full-fat chilled coconut milk (I only used a 1/5 of a can for 4 servings ..)
- Sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries were all a huge hit!
- Shredded coconut, toasted (I didn’t toast mine due to time and thought they were great as is)
- Enjoy Life chocolate chips (Yeah, I bought them cause Urban said too.. tasty .. only used a couple on last bowl)
- Cinnamon <— didn’t use any .. will try in morning (since half an acorn served 4 servings .. tomorrow is good to go!)
- Honey <- I added it .. made it exciting to the palate.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Cut the squash in half and remove middle w/ seeds. Place the squash halves cut side down [w/ aluminum which is good for wrapping second half for next day!).
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until tender and cooked through.
- Scoop Squash into bowl…
- Pour the milk over each bowl of squash, allowing it to pool at the sides of the bowl. Add desired toppings and a drizzle of honey.
Urban Poser has a great deal of awesome recipes – check them out!