Yesterday I ventured with pure gluten free, but today I went 100% paleo with the mega great recipe from PaleoOMG. I did NOT follow the portions exactly as the consistency wasn’t right. The recipe dry to liquid ratio may be accurate, but Loren (my amazing little girl) was measuring the Almond flour. So I know we had less than required and added more liquids than specified below.
These come out light and great. As with most dishes you should top with fruit or include berries (I used frozen blueberries as that was on hand) to give natural moisture. (Read between the lines here: dry)
Loren at 1.5 waffles and our “recipe” made 7 waffles. I’d guess this feeds 4 people. Check the nutrients and you’ll understand. Volume != full.
Here is the recipe with my comments:
- 1.5 cup almond flour (less!)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- Up to 1/2 almond / coconut milk (soy if you got on hand to get consistency)
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (really a nice add)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon ish raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (wow!)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Whisk your eggs in a medium-large sized bowl.
- Add your coconut milk and whisk together with eggs.
- Next add your almond flour and mix together.
- Then add your shredded coconut, coconut flour, baking soda and mix together.
- Lastly, add in your honey, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add extra milk here to get consistency
- Pour into your waffle iron and cooking until cooked through. It took about 4 minutes (mind were great as soon as timer went off, so good warm and easy to reheat!)
Enjoy with juice!