I totally agree with PaleOMG’s perspective that quiche without that fluffy crust is awful. So, when she posted a recipe for a MEAT Crust quiche I was 100% on board. At the same though I was already committed to Practical Paleo’s Zucchini Carrot quiche … so, I merged them to something awesome.
Let me say the dish was awesome. The meat was spicy and a perfect balance with the rest of the ingredients. The sweet potato was clutch in neutralizing the zing of the spicy meat, and combined with a bit of plated avocado – KaPow, awesome.
- 1 large zucchini (toss in food processor and slice it to shreds)
- 2 large carrots (toss in food processor afterwards, no need to wash)
- 1 lb Country Sausage (I bought mine from fresh market, but go as you like)
- 1 medium sweet potato – cooked (I had extra from previous recipe)
- 9 Eggs (large .. could have gone up to 12, but I ran out ..)
- Spices – salt, pepper, paprika
Put it together
- Set over to 375 degrees
- In pan spread out meat as if it were dough – be sure to get it thin. No need to crawl up the walls, and place in over for roughly 16-20 minutes. (When finished take out and drain out the grease – I just tipped it out carefully)
- Shred the Zucchini and then place in cheese cloth to drain. There is a surprising amount of liquid here, so make it disappear! Drop carrots into food processor.
- Chop up the sweet potato (no skin)
- Mix up the eggs (I used an immersion blender b/c it was sitting there, and it rocked ..)
- Bring together the veggies and the eggs, season as you like, and then pour into the dish.
- Place into oven – and cook. Mine went for about 50 minutes. It is done when dead center is cooked.
Enjoy! I reheated mine in the oven and it was good for many days afterwards.