Let me say … I really dislike Brussels Sprouts. Everytime I have had them I have hated them, and so haven't really been a fan – till now. In my desperate attempt to find more things to eat (it is extremely hard to eat all good calories to fuel properly), I thought I had to try this again… since I am neck deep on 50k, 46 mile, and ironman training better late than never.
So I will cut to the punch – it is awesome this way, so try it.
Here is the recipe [roughly 2 servings 275 total calories, 13g protein, 33g carb, 9g fat]:
- 1 spicy italian sausage (remove from lining)
- 1 bag defrosted Butternut Squash (roughly 1lb) peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 bag of Brussels Sprouts, trimmed
Quarter the Brussels Sprouts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage to the heated pan and cook until browned; break up the sausage as it cooks. (You may need some oil – if so, add Coconut oil .. worked great)
- Add the butternut squash and Brussels sprouts to coat, add the sea salt
- In a rimmed baking sheet, toss in the sprouts, squash, and browned sausage (add fat from the pan)
- Transfer baking sheet to the oven and roast until veggies are cooked through and browned; about 1-hour
Slightly spicy and awesome. Honestly I held myself back from eating the whole thing, and next time will definitely double the recipe (now that I find those BS tolerable… and who would have guessed they have so much protein!).